Every Child a Talker (ECAT) aims to:
- raise children’s achievement in early language
- improve practitioners’ skills and knowledge
- increase parental understanding and involvement in children’s language development
ECAT is designed to help create a developmentally appropriate, supportive and stimulating environment in which children can enjoy experimenting with and learning language. It can be implemented whether children are in Early Years settings, with a child minder or at home with their parents. Through everyday fun and interesting activities which reflect children’s interests, ECAT will encourage early language development right from the outset, extending children’s vocabulary and helping them build sentences so that before they start school, children are confident and skilled communicators.
These materials are designed to support in developing the role as a lead practitioner and in developing high quality language provision and are closely linked to the Early Years Foundation Stage.
This second installment includes the following sections:
- examples of specific language activities that will support language learning
- ideas and activities that will assist you in providing sessions for children and parents together.