This guidance sets out how, in exceptional circumstances and only when other options have been exhausted, local authorities may use their dedicated schools grant (DSG) funding differently during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
This is so children of critical workers and vulnerable children who are eligible for the free early education entitlements are able to receive their places.
This guidance includes:
- information about the payment of early years DSG funding during the coronavirus outbreak
- details about the early years DSG funding flexibility available to local authorities to support them in securing sufficient childcare for children who need it
- a description of the cohorts of children for whom local authorities can continue to fund places under the free early education entitlements
- how the early years DSG funding flexibility works with the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- an update on powers under the Coronavirus Act 2020 to require early years settings to open or reopen
Published 28 April
Sign up to the Foundation Years mailing list to receive these updates straight to your inbox.