Print Friendly, PDF & Email


You will need to register your child’s birth by the time they are six weeks old, in the district they were born. This can often be done at the hospital before you go home, in your local register office or sometimes your local children’s centre. If you are unable to get to the area where your baby was born, you can visit any register office.

If you are married, either one of you can register the birth. Both of you will then be named on the birth certificate and have legal responsibility for your child. If you are not married but both want legal parental responsibility, you will need to register the birth jointly. Mums who are not married are able to register the birth of a child on their own if they wish to do so.


Read more…